While the general method of creating a revision of a template is to create a new version by copying the contents from the active version, instead, you can create a new version by uploading a newer versions of the document.
Use this method of creating a new version of a template from a document when you author templates, like your procedures, in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat. In this scenario the Word or PDF documents are the authoritative source for your templates. These templates could be the procedures for your organization.
In the Word or PDF document you make the required updates to the template. Once the changes are complete in your Word or PDF document, now you need to make those changes to the template in Keeni. Instead of manually making the updates to a new version, you can import the updated Word or PDF document as a new version to the template.
Supported File Formats
The upload document process supports these file extensions: .doc .docx .abw .pdf .odt .rtf .html .md .txt .zip
While the upload process supports multiple document formats, the most commonly used ones are .DOC and .DOCX for a Microsoft Word documents as well as .PDF for Adobe Acrobat documents.
How to Create a Revision to a Procedure Template from an external Document
1. When viewing the Versions tab of the template, click the button for New Version.
2. A dropdown menu will be displayed with four options to create a new version.
3. Click the Upload Document link.
4. You will be directed to the Upload Document page.
5. The switch for Use Existing Template should be toggled on and the template selected. This will create a new version of the selected template, rather than creating a whole new template.
6. Select the document to upload. You can either drag and drop the document from your device. Or you can click the Plus icon to open a file browser.
7. The Version number will be auto incremented. You can change this after it is imported as a new version by updating the Settings for the version.
8. The document will be imported and converted into a template.
9. You will be directed to the view page of your new version. The status of the new version starts in draft so you can use the template Editor to make any further enhancements.
Once the version is ready, you can activate it. Then new documents for the template will use this new version that is active.
Specifying the Description and Reason for the Version
The Description and Reason options are optional. They are to help provide more structure and context in the version control system.
Since the import process to create a new version from an uploaded document doesn't allow you to specify the Description nor Reason, you can still set these values.
Learn how to Update the Description and Reason for a Version.